6.24.2011

the quote of my life.

If you don't know who Kelle Hampton is, you should. And soon.

Her quote from a blog post [it pretty much defines my life]: "My bottom line in parenting--in special needs, in friendship, in anything--is always this: Most of the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I damn well know how to spend time with my kids--how to have fun. This combination of time and attention, love and vivacious energy makes me feel like I know what I'm doing, and that confidence--whether it's real or just a figment of my imagination-- gradually grows until it cannot be denied; until I know with certainty that it's working, that I have good experiences to fall back on, to lead me through the intimidating parts of the journey. Somewhere along the line, "I don't know what I'm doing" becomes, "Damn. Look at us. We're doing it." I love that."

Kelle, thank you! In parenting, whether it be Ellie and I exploring the bottom of a Rita's cup or relaxing at the beach, I feel like my efforts and attention will be enough. Even if I can't be the best parent, I can teach her life lessons, have fun wtih her, allow her to walk on her own but knowing the comfort of my support. In my religion, building my testimony, spending that one-on-one time with my Heavenly Father and having those "experiences to fall back on." In my marriage, the love and vivacious energy needed to keep us fulfilled and always digging deeper into one another. These have been my thoughts for so long... but I've never SAID it or WROTE it. But, that is my life in a nutshell. I won't always have money or intellect enough. I will always have time, though. And effort. And love.

No comments:

Post a Comment