11.27.2010

Holidays & Being a Parent

Originally posted: 11/24/2010


It's obvious that I've fallen off the blogging/note-writing wagon, but I figured a quick one would help me get back into it...

Ellie was born 11 days before my birthday. I; however, had forgotten COMPLETELY about the occasion until about 4 days beforehand. I never understood when my parent's birthdays would slip by so quickly and unannounced, yet they made mine so special. And now I do. It's so easy to forget to brush your teeth, let alone think about dates and non-existant invitations to a non-existant birthday party for yourself. On the other hand, I set my phone alarm to the minute she was born every Saturday so that, for a second, I can think of my 5 [or almost 6!] week old little baby and the incredible moment that was her birth. Now, I doubt I'd remember to celebrate that minute if I didn't set an alarm... but I celebrate her WEEKS and forget my own birthDAY? Such a weird parenting change.

The best holiday change about being a Mama, though, is the ones that you DO remember. Sure, I can't remember my own birthday... but tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I wouldn't forget that for the world. Tomorrow I will celebrate, with great enthusiasm, all that God has given me. For Ellie, who leaves me speechless with happiness. For Andrew, who gave me our daughter. For my sister, who loves me when I need to be loved and sets me straight when I need that, too. For my Mom, who loved me as much as I love Ellie. For my grandmother, who taught me how to prep my first Thanksgiving turkey [and thanks to the LDS Church for cooking it for me!]. For my cousins, who each taught me hilarious jokes and gave me silly memories. For my in-laws, who love me as their own and constantly support me. For my Aunt Lisa, who teaches me that being a woman is a magical thing. For my friends, who love me unconditionally. And for Ellie, again. Why not? She's what I will always be most grateful for.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment