3.27.2011

Escalators.

I love date nights. I know this is sort of like saying, "I love music," or "I like my friends," but seriously. I love date nights. I feel like when Ellie is around, Andrew and I are so involved with her and sometimes ignore one another. I am trying to work on/fix this, but maybe it's part of having an infant- her needs are just so immediate and typically include blood-thirsty SCREAMS. Not great for romance. Either way, CYS on Schofield offers Parent's Night Out twice a month and 2 weeks ago, I got up at the crack of dawn [or Cassie dawn. Which happens to be 8am.] to sign her up. This was her first experience with daycare and, as the outrageously emotional and stupid woman that I am, I was so worried that my little baby wouldn't get along with the other little babies. Shoot me. [Why do I over-analyze everything?!] Within minutes, an 18 month-old boy was petting her face. Sure, she seemed upset, but she'll have to learn to accept it. Men will annoy her the rest of her life. Once safely in the arms of a care provider, she was fine and Andrew and I skipped off.

The first reason that I love date nights is that I get a new dress. While this may seem expensive to get a new dress for every date night, I kindly remind Andrew that I housed his offspring for most of the last calender year and he hands over his debit card. I'm not sure when this excuse will wear off, but I think it will coincide with when I am pregnant next... and who would deny a pregnant woman a new outfit?

New dress on and Ellie at PNO, we drove to Ruth's Chris. Second reason I love date nights: THE FOOD. Though I am a vegetarian, their menu is still the best in town and Andrew devoured his steak. I have to thank them for such an awesome visit... Not only did they decorate our table with rose petals, but the General Manager came and thanked Andrew for his service and gave us free dessert. Oh. And then they also threw in a $20 gift card. Whaaa?! Honestly, it's so special to see Andrew recognized for his hard work. It's more special that half a piece of Ruth's Chris cheesecake is sitting in my fridge. Priorities, people!

Now, after dinner we had plans to see "Avenue Q" at the Manoa Valley Theatre, but in Knieriem style, we arrived late. So we were rainchecked and have tickets to see it Wednesday. I'm not sure if this means another date night... and another dress... Maybe I am pushing it.

So, what do two parents do with three hours to blow? They go to the mall. This was an actual conversation between Andrew and I:

C: So, what do you want to do now?
A: We could go to a bunch of places... and NOT have to take Ellie out of the car over and over.
C: True. I hate that.
A: I know, it sucks.
C: So, what kind of places?
A: Cassie. We could go to the MALL... and ride the ESCALATORS.

Those without children may not get this joke... See, strollers can't go on an escalator and so we're always stuck waiting for elevators. This annoys Andrew to all end and so here he was on the escalator:
He's ridiculous. Please, someone locate his brain. ;)

After a quick trip around the mall, we decided to see "Little Red Riding Hood." I don't think we had high hopes for the movie, but I like Amanda Seifred... well, except for in "Mama Mia!" Either way, it was actually pretty good. A little of a twist. Plenty of love scenes. Adequate amount of suspense. Whatever. It held my attention and I was distracted from counting the calories in each Charleston Chew. I'm not Robert Ebert.

Now we're back home with our little muffin sleeping in her crib after a VERY full night. Maybe she'll sleep through the night? Riiiiight.

Third reason that I love date night? I get to hold Andrew's hand without pushing a stroller, eat dinner without mixing a bottle at the table, and drive home talking about fun things [sailing, the new house] without Ellie's squeals interrupting us. Yes, I love her. But this Mama needs a break sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment