3.23.2011

You guessed it; more sunshine and happiness!

I seriously can't take that Andrew's family has left. I'm not sure if it's because there are less people to comfort Ellie [especially since she is currently SCREAMING HER HEAD OFF.] or because now that they're gone, it's only a matter of time before Andrew is. Ew. Bad thoughts. Back to vacation re-capping.

On Monday morning, Andrew had to return to work for a quick PT session, so Brooke, Ellie, and I came home to Schofield. This was the first time we have EVER had a relative stay at OUR house... and it was so exciting for me. Why? Because I am a freak.
That's MY brother on MY couch. Ahhh!

After Andrew's workout, we headed to meet our group at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. This was every one's first visit and though I can't speak for all involved... I was shocked. I consider myself somewhat of a pacifist and have always pondered about the United States' choice to drop the two atomic bombs on Japan. This visit was so eye-opening for me because I was unaware of the total chaos that Japan caused in the Pacific from December 1941-August 1942. I was also surprised at how solemn the entire event was and how I was emotionally touched. I don't know a single person that perished on December 7, 1941, but reading each of their names was... [nevermind. I am leaving this blank. There isn't a word to describe the visit... you must just go for yourself.] I admit that the few hours I spent there has changed my worldview so dramatically.







Everyone, with the exception of Albert. We asked a stranger to take a picture of all of us, but iPhone-ing was a bit much for her technological capabilities, I think.

This was a part of the Pearl Harbor exhibit... it is sort of difficult to make out, but it says:

Aloha means Farewell to thee
Aloha means goodbye
It means until we meet again
Beneath the Tropic Sky
Aloha means good morning
And always to be true
But the best thing Aloha means
I always think of you


I truly encourage everyone to visit the sites at Pearl Harbor. I think it has helped me gain a firm perception of WWII and I am planning a December 7, 2012 trip there with Andrew.


After we visited Pearl Harbor, we checked into the Hale Koa [a military resort in Waikiki] and strolled around for a bit before heading to Paradise Cove for a LUAU! I love luaus. The food is never really that stellar, nor is the entertainment usually... though, it was definitely much better at Paradise Cove. The reason I really love going to a luau is because I love Hawaii. I love the music, the dancing, the radiant spirit of Aloha. I also claim to be an up-and-coming hula dancer, though that is a hot button issue with Andrew. Either way, we all suited up and strolled along the beach, enjoyed some fun Ellie moments, and ate some seriously sour poi.


It is so awesome to have a daughter. I sometimes wish that we had waited longer [not that she was planned] and pain over the things we're "missing," but our life is so joyous because of her. I like being a family of three... and I am sure she likes having ALL the attention...










Mom & Dad. What hotties!

DO YOU SEE WHAT I AM SAYING?! I could totally do that. I, 1. have the hips and 2. have tons of headgear. Count me in!

Ellie is still struggling with her laugh. She's moved from "constipated gurgle" to "quack," though.

No comments:

Post a Comment